DWIB LEUKAEMIA TRUST ACHIEVEMENTS
(The list below are in no particular order, updates are always placed at the top)
- Registered the Trust with the Charity House (Reg. no. D.S.W/2687), Accra Metropolitan Assembly (Reg no.A.026/10/231) and the Registrar General (Reg no G-15,215).
- Development and hosting of a website for the Trust (www.dwib.org)
- Opened two Accounts with the Standard Chartered Bank in Ghana
- Account A: 0100103398100 for DWIB leukaemia Trust
- Account B: 0100103398101 for Leukaemia Treatment Fund
- Sent and hosted two people, Dr. Ivy Ekem of Korle-Bu Hospital and Abena Briggs of DWIB Ghana on a 5-day fact finding mission on leukaemia and related issues to the UK in October 2005. They met with medical personnel and officials of Kings College Hospital and Anthony Nolan Trust. They also met with the African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust.
- Organised the first ever Bone Marrow Clinic in Sub-Saharan Africa in November/December 2005 in which 760 donors were recorded.
- Formation of Patrons, Trustees and Members of DWIB GH on 17th March, 2005
- DWIB GH Inauguration, Launch and Fundraising Dinner on 11th March 2006 by the President of Ghana H.E John Agyekum Kuffour
- Wide media Coverage on the disease Leukaemia and DWIB Leukaemia Trust (on-going). They include an article in Graphic Showbiz titled “Close shave with death”, an interview on BBC with Andy Peters at the City Hospital, and interview on “Health Matters” hosted by Siju Adeoye of OBE TV (Sky Ch 223) and a host of others.
- Soliciting for Donations (on-going), and printing of Donation Receipts
- DWIB GH Recruitment of Staff for Secretariat, that is, two Administrative
- Support Staff and a Trust Operations Manager
- Third Party Fundraiser and Agreement Form made available
- Launching of fund raising merchandize (armbands, rings and lapel pins) in Accra Ghana.
- 2nd Donor Clinic in KNUST, Kumasi from 16th to 19th November 2006 achieved 260 donors. Bringing total on register to 1020.
- DWIB GH Developed searchable software in MS SQL and .Net for Ghana Bone Marrow Register.
- DWIB UK have completed development of an extensive proposal for the setting up of the main laboratory for the Ghana Bone Marrow Register and its secretariat.
- DWIB GH Adopted and refurbished five rooms as isolation unit at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital for the admission and treatment of leukaemia patients who are exposed to infections because they are spread out across the hospital. The unit was handed over to the Haematology department of Korle-Bu hospital on 18th January 2007 by the Executive Director/Founder Danny Whyte. The furnishing of the isolation unit was at the cost of ¢170 million of which ¢100 million was shouldered by the Trust and ¢70 million by various sponsors.
- Held a seminar on leukaemia for the media in Accra in line with the aim to embark on advocacy programmes to create awareness of the disease to the general public. The focus of the seminar was to educate media personnel in the capital and empower them to be able to alert and enlighten the public on the disease so as to save lives. .
- Retailing fundraising merchandize (on-going)
- Early 2006 Danny Whyte travelled to Lagos, Nigeria for the possibility of setting up DWIB in Nigeria. This process is still ongoing.
- DWIB UK is to launch in London on Saturday 1st September 2007
- DWIB UK is registered as a company in the UK (Co. Reg. No: 5883298) and have also almost completed its registration with UK Charity Commission.
- DWIB UK have successfully set up an account with LloydsTSB Plc
- Account Number for DWIB UK: 0136601
- DWIB GH made a strong appeal to the public for a 2nd year university student in Ghana Korle-Bu hospital unfortunately due to complications she did not make it but this led to setting up of the Treatment Fund account with the balance of funds donated to the Trust due to her appeal.
- DWIB GH have created the following Radio, TV and Paper adverts:
- 4 min Yarie Enye awareness Music Video with various artists
- 1 min Television awareness advert
- 1 min Radio awareness promo
- 15 & 30 minutes Television documentary about DWIB & Leukaemia
- Designed various adverts of sizes, colours etc for News Paper, Magazines, etc.
- Planning a 13 part of 45mins TV series about leukaemia to international standards to be aired in all countries DWIB goes in to setup.
In the News | Guest Book | Links & Partners | International Patrons | Appeal for Sufferers | Merchandise | Volunteer Form | What is Leukaemia | How to donate to DWIB| Vacancies | Appreciate | Achievements
DISCLAIMER: All contents within DWIB Website is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. DWIB is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the contents of DWIB website. DWIB is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed, nor does it endorse any.